25 Memorable Moments
International Games and Sponsor Programs
In 2018, Sold Out Events is celebrating its 25th year in business. We’re dusting off the archives and looking back at some of the 25 biggest and most memorable events we have created and managed during that time.
We kicked off our countdown by looking back some of our most memorable national tours, and this month we are focussing on international Games and sponsor programs.
#23 – BHP Billiton 2008 Beijing Sponsorship Leveraging Program
Sold Out Events was tasked with delivering BHP Billiton’s 2008 Beijing Olympic sponsorship leveraging program which included development, planning and management of ‘mini Olympic Games’ in communities around the world where BHP operated mining sites.
From South Africa to Mozambique, children who participated in the program had the opportunity to meet their sporting heroes and ‘go-for-gold’ in a Games spectacular. As with any program this size the stats were impressive:
- Number of Olympic events Sold Out Events produced: 28 (21 domestic, 7 international)
- Number of Sold Out Events staff involved: 14
- Total distance travelled by all Sold Out Events staff combined: 271,020km (equivalent to 6.76 circumnavigations of the earth!)
- Number of children involved in the program: Over 10,000
- Number of volunteers involved: Over 290
- Total number of sports: 13 (soccer, hurdles, sprints, relay, shotput, javelin, volleyball, basketball, long jump, netball, tee ball, tae kwon do, judo)
- Ambassadors: Kerrie Meares, Anna Meares, Robbie Crowther, Kyle van der Kuyp, Scott Martin, Trish Fallon, Brad MacKay, Joel Milburn, Rochelle Hawkes, Maria Mutola, Marks Maponyane, Natalie du Toit, Letitia Vriesde
- Countries Visited: Australia, China, South Africa, Mozambique, Suriname
o South Africa - Metalloys, Nelspruit
o Mozambique – Maputo
o Suriname – Paramaribo, Washabo
o China – Beijing
o Australia - Groote Eylandt, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Ravensthorpe, Newman, Port Hedland, Worsley, Cannington, Dysart, Moranbah, Blackwater, Townsville, Sydney, Dendrobium, Appin, Georgetown, Adelaide, Roxby Downs, Melbourne
#22 – 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics: Look and Feel
The 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games was an incredible international sporting event that saw approximately 2,400 athletes from 77 countries participate in 80 events. It was the first time Australia won a Winter Olympic gold medal – who could forget Steven Bradbury’s unexpected victory in the 1000m short track speed skating?
Even more impressive were the sights and the atmosphere of the Olympic precinct, venues and arenas. Sold Out Events was responsible for developing, installing and managing the ‘look and feel’ elements of the Games. From flags and banners to colour schemes and visual effects, the team created surroundings that were truly unforgettable in competition and non-competition venues, as well as city precincts and village arenas.
However, the Games weren’t all song and dance. The evening prior to the opening ceremony, a significant snow blizzard hit Salt Lake City which effectively buried huge amounts of signage and infrastructure. Living by the motto “improvise, adapt, overcome”, the 100+ team of Sold Out project directors and crew members recovered and/or replaced all necessary signage and infrastructure, working through the night in time for opening!
Immerse yourself in the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games history by clicking through our image gallery.