25 Memorable Moments
Sold Out Events is celebrating a milestone birthday; we’re turning 25 in October. Way back in 1993, Wayne B. Staunton started out with just one client and one employee. From its humble beginnings in Sydney, Sold Out Events has grown into an award-winning events agency that is recognised on the world stage for its industry excellence.
Throughout 2018, we will be dusting off the archives and looking back at some of the 25 biggest and most memorable events we have created and managed in the past 25 years.
#25 – NAB 150 Years National Tour
In 2008, the Sold Out Events’ team staged one of the largest national tours ever seen, for the National Bank of Australia’s (NAB) 150 Years celebration. Our role included the planning and implementation of community and school events in towns and cities around Australia, as well as the research, design and production of the NAB 150 Tour Truck, a semi-trailer named Ned.
The tour made its way from Armidale to Albany and Bundaberg to Burnie. We racked up some impressive numbers during the eight-month tour which included:
- 237 = Number of days on tour
- 189 = Number of events delivered
- 32,000 = Number of kilometres travelled
- 85 = Number of primary schools that visited
- 83 = Number of local council applications submitted for event venues
- 69 = Number of venue (non-government) applications submitted for events
- 32 = Number of Lions & Rotary Clubs that barbeques hosted at community and media events
- 101 = Number of accommodation locations stayed at by the Sold Out team
- 1,854 = Number of kilometres of the longest distance travelled between events (Esperance to Whyalla)
- 7 = Number of ‘big’ things visited
- Big Guitar, Narrandera NSW
- Big Banana, Coffs Harbour NSW
- Big Prawn, Ballina NSW
- Big Pineapple, Nambour QLD
- Big Ned Kelly, Maryborough QLD
- Big Mango, Bowen QLD
- Big Galah, Kimba SA
- Countless = Number of letters and phone calls of thanks from councils, venues and schools
#24 – Olympic Team Welcome Home Tours
At Sold Out Events we love working on large sporting events, after all these were the foundations the company was built on. We’ve been working with the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) for over 20 years and assisted in delivering one of the greatest sporting events Australian has hosted in recent times; the 2000 Sydney Olympic and Paralympic Games.
While the Olympics was a huge achievement to add to the portfolio, working on behalf of the AOC to deliver the Australian Olympic Team National Welcome Home Celebrations was also a highlight. The tours are epic events where medallists, along with other Olympic team members, travel to every major city in Australia in seven days so the nation can celebrate their achievements.
For the athletes who competed in Atlanta, Sydney, Beijing, London and Rio, we shut down the capital city centres, and tens of thousands of supporters gathered to meet their sporting heroes. Those celebrations included ticker tape parades and public ceremonies, and in recent times, concerts by Australian’s leading musical artists. We also coordinated live and remote television broadcasts so Australians could enjoy the colour and excitement of the post-Rio tour.
Next month, 25 Memorable Moments will take on an international flavour as we take a look at the world-class events we’ve produced around the globe.